Sunday 4 August 2013

New job

So it's 11AM on a Sunday morning and there is no sign of anyone getting up so it's seems the perfect time to write another quick post! 

Following on from where I left off, I started my new job on Monday morning. I was super happy to find out my office is close enough to walk. This is a big deal in São Paulo, the traffic is widely considered the worst in the world with jams reaching 150km regularly during the rush hour and the public transport also leaves much to be desired; the protests that started in June were originally triggered by the government putting the price of a bus ticket up (which they have now reversed.) 

My walk to work is great, it's in a safe area, I walk past the traffic jams feeling very smug and most importantly I have discovered both a bakery and a fro-yo bar on the way! The office is situated in an amazing building called the Brazilian British centre. It houses the Foreign Office, the BBC, the British Council, the British Cultural centre, a British library and most importantly it has a pub!

I can't say too much about my work but I am working at the British consulate as an intern in UK Trade and Investment. I am focussed on outward investment, so British companies that want to invest in Brazil. So far I have not done much more than receive security briefings and IT training. It seems very interesting though and I will also get to go on client visits which should be cool. 

The office has such a family atmosphere. There is always cake, I have volunteered to make one for Monday, which could be interesting considering I don't have a tin, think I will try brownies in a casserole dish! All the interns go out for lunch together each day, there are a couple of English ones, all from Oxbridge, but most of them are Brazilian students at USP or PUC studying International Relations, it is common for Brazilian students to work at the same time as studying, which makes our lives as students in the UK seem very easy. It's great for me as we always speak in Portuguese and I've already been to invited university parties! My boss is so sweet, she must love her job as she drives 2.5 hours morning and night to and from work. There are 4 generations living in her house, her grandmother, mother, her and her daughter! She has already invited me to come and stay for a weekend!

One of the best things about working in the Foreign Office so far, is that you're in a truly international environment, everyone has such interesting stories to tell and you get to hear news really early through network "Diptels", great if you're a news geek like me!

I think I am going to enjoy it a lot and feel incredibly lucky to be working with such talented people. 


Sunset from my bedroom window...

1 comment: